As a child, choosing my backpack was a massive deal. (Yes, I was a spoiled “youngest,” and got a new one practically every year.) I’d ponder each and every choice, marking catalogs galore. Should I go practical with the Lands End, or funky with GapKids? My obsession with backpacks continues until this day – lucky you. Here’s a roundup of my favorites: Some for the littles, and some for the older ones.
1. The Fjallraven Kanken, originally designed for Swedish children in 1978, is as current today as ever. Flawless Swedish design, along with a dizzying array of color choices makes this a no fail pick. Multiple sizes are offered, but I favor the Kanken Mini. Fjallraven , $55.Enjoy free shipping.
2.Skip Hop, ever a cult favorite amongst parents, introduces two new designs this year into their uber popular Zoo line: the panda and the shark. Super durable; Zoo backpacks are both practical and fun for any toddler. Our personal favorite? The charming, blue elephant. Amazon , $16.
3. Named after a tiny frontier town in the 1900s, (that still exists,) the Herschel Supply Company makes irresistible, canvas designs. Priding themselves on their “tough as nails” craftsmanship, their bags come in two sizes, Youth and Kids. Herschel Supply Co. , $40 and $50. $9.95 flat rate shipping. For more color options, CrewCuts , $55. Enjoy free shipping.
4. This next option is brought to us by Cath Kidston, a British cult favorite. A charming designer of spot on prints, this polka dot briefcase is a winner – and most definitely an investment splurge. Asos , $72. Enjoy free shipping and free returns.
5. The Beatrix New York Little Kids backpack is what we’ve all been ceaselessly looking for. ( Well, I have, at least. ) Made from PVC free materials, the laminated canvas is a dream to clean, and the backpack features padded straps, and an interior zipped pocket. The design options are nothing short of whimsy. Amazon, $42 Try Albee Baby as well, for pssoible discounts and more options.
6. Classic, yet contemporary, Mi PAC backpacks are both practical and fashionable. Featuring a faux seude bottom, and a thick canvas, these are sure to please any taste. Mi Pac Star Print , $38. Mi Pac Nordic Print , $38. Mi Pac Classic Backpack , $38. All at Asos.com. Enjoy free shipping and free returns.
7. French design is never wrong, and this organic cotton satchel strengthens that belief. The Ecole School Satchel features a reinforced base, brown and white gingham print, and a delectable motif. My Little Square , $66.